Hot Rolled Steel Sheets
Hot rolling is a mill process which involves rolling the steel at a high temperature (typically at a temperature over 1700° F), which is above the steel’s recrystallization temperature.
When steel is above the recrystallization temperature, it can be shaped and formed easily, and the steel can be made in much larger sizes.
Hot rolled steel is typically cheaper than cold rolled steel due to the fact that it is often manufactured without any delays in the process, and therefore the reheating of the steel is not required (as it is with cold rolled).
When the steel cools off it will shrink slightly thus giving less control on the size and shape of the finished product when compared to cold rolled.
Uses: Hot rolled products like hot rolled steel bars are used in the welding and
construction trades to make railroad tracks and I-beams, for example.
Hot rolled steel is used in situations where precise shapes and tolerances are not required.
0,8 < 1,5
|Thickness Tolerance (a)
For specified thickness (b-c-d)
|≥1,5 < 2,0||≥ 2,0 < 2,5||≥ 2,5 < 3,0||≥ 3,0 < 4,0||≥ 4,0 < 5,0||≥ 5,0 < 6,0||≥ 6,0 < 8,0||≥ 8,0 < 10,0||≥ 10,0 < 12,5||_|
|600 < 1200||± 0,13||± 0,14||± 0,15||± 0,16||± 0,18||± 0,20||± 0,22||± 0,25||± 0,27||± 0,30|
|± 0,14||± 0,15||± 0,15||± 0,18||± 0,20||± 0,22||± 0,24||± 0,26||± 0,28||± 0,31|
|± 0,15||± 0,18||± 0,20||± 0,22||± 0,24||± 0,25||± 0,26||± 0,29||± 0,32|
|> 1800||± 0,21||± 0,22||± 0,23||± 0,25||± 0,26||± 0,30||± 0,34||± 0,38|
Width tolerances for coils and cut lengths (including descaled material), mill edge.
Dimensions and tolerances in millimeters
Width tolerances for coils and cut lengths
( including descaled material ) ,sheared edge, not resquared.
Dimensions and tolerances in millimetres
> 1200 ≤ 1500
Length tolerances for cut lengths
( including descaled material ) ,not resquared.
Dimensions and tolerances in millimetres
> 2000 ≤ 8000
+ 0,5% x length
Hot Rolled “ HR ” Steel Sheet and Plate Applications
Steel Plate, or structural steel is simply steel sheet material that can be customarily cut and welded to develop a more elaborate product.
It is made by compressing multiple steel layers together into one; forming a plate of steel.
Some of the direct applications that benefit from hot rolled sheet and plate include :
• General fabrication
• Automotive panels
• Trailer siding
Hot Rolled Sheet and Plate Mechanical Properties
Hot rolled sheet and plate maintains many unique properties that separate it from other processes such as cold rolling.
The properties that are exclusive to the hot rolled steel manufacturing process include the following :
• Tensile Strength: 52,000 psi
• Yield Strength: 38,000 psi
• Brinell Hardness: 95
Manufacturing Process for Producing HR Steel Sheet & Plate
The HR steel square bar manufacturing process involves rolling steel at a temperature above the steel’s recrystallization temperature, which is around 1700° F.
Steel that is above the recrystallization temperature can be shaped and formed much more easily than colder steel, and the steel can start in much larger sizes.
The process to create hot rolled steel sheet and plate produces a more ductile steel with a rough surface finish that can be difficult to machine.
The cost is usually much less than a similar cold rolled steel product.
HR Steel Sheet & Plate Advantages
Hot rolling usually uses large ingots and large reduction rolling, which not only
improves production efficiency, but also creates conditions for increasing rolling speed and achieving continuous and automated rolling process.
Some of the other benefits associated with hot rolled steel square bar include :
• Increased malleability
• Numerous applications
• Less expensive than cold rolling
• High rate of production
Cold vs Hot Rolled Steel Sheet and Plate
The main differences between hot rolled and cold rolled steel comes down to specific manufacturing processes.
Hot rolling refers to processing done with heat, while cold rolling refers to processes done at or around room temperature.
Although these techniques affect overall performance and application, they should not be confused with formal specifications and grades of steel, which relate to metallurgical composition and performance ratings.
Both hot rolled steel and cold rolled steel start out in largely the same way and both can have the same grades and specifications.
But cold rolled steel undergoes additional processing steps, resulting in improved properties that can be exploited for different applications.
Each type of steel has its advantages and disadvantages and costs for the two types of steel can also vary widely.
Hot Rolled Steel Sheet and Plate Characteristics
Hot rolled steel plate and sheet typically requires much less processing than cold rolled steel, which makes it a lot cheaper.
However, since hot rolled steel can cool at room temperature, it’s free from internal stresses that can arise from quenching or work-hardening processes.
HR steel sheet and plate can be identified by the following characteristics :
• A scaled surface—a remnant of cooling from extreme temperatures
• Slightly rounded edges and corners for bar and plate products (due to shrinkage and less precise finishing)
• Slight distortions, where cooling may result in slightly trapezoidal forms, as
opposed to perfectly squared angles
Our Steel division is a leading provider of hot rolled steel sheet and plate materials in numerous shapes and sizes that are based on your project’s exact specifications.
Payment & Transaction terms:
1. Buyer sends official LOI to Baghlaf Steel
2. Baghlaf Steel responds with official FCO
3. Buyer counter signs FCO for acceptance of the Conditions & Terms and send together with Company Certificate to Seller.
4. Seller issues Sales & purchase Agreement ( SPA ) open for amendment and review for buyer review together with Technical details of Commodity ( Annex A ) / Plan of total shipments delivery ( Annex B – Provided by Buyer ) Technical Specification signed and sealed (Annex C ) Commitment letter of Product Quantity & Quality Availability & Supply Commitment signed and sealed ( Annex D ) .
5. Buyer review (SPA), sign and returns a soft copy to the seller.
6. Seller final review (SPA) if any amendments necessary and issues Official Commercial Invoice and send both to buyer within 3 banking days final signed and sealed.
7. Buyer initiates the draft letter of 20%from the total contract value based on an MT700 LC at Sight , Confirmed, Revolving and irrevocable LC with full guarantee from the buyer’s bank for the total contract value for the seller’s bank to review and confirm.
8. Seller finalized the LC draft review and are ready to obtain the above said LC.
9. The buyer bank should record to activate the above said LC within 14 days after the issuing of the Commercial Invoice ( Step 6 above ) and release the Letter of Credit (LC) to the bank or financial institution for issuance by above said LC. Buyers bank issues the LC MT700 with a minimum total contract value coverage of 20% , MT700 Confirmed, Irrevocable, revolving LC to sellers financial bank.
( 20% of total MT Contract value x “MT unit price “ USD = ……………,- USD )
10. Seller issues a Performance Bond Guarantee of 20% of the total contract value as performance bond bank guarantee as PBG to the buyer’s account bank against the LC.
11. Seller within ten (10) business days comply and execute the processes of registering purchase order.
12. Shipment starts
POP & Sight inspection will be submitted and exchanged ;
” Only and After an official MT700 Swift request from Buyer’s bank to our Seller’s bank has been send” .
Any additional documentation will only be exchanged through the secured Bank channels and only through MT700 or MT705 Swift enquiry – BCL /MT199 / MT799 or other similars as Proof of fund or as Swift exchange are not Accepted